We attended CFIT yesterday. CFIT is an annual conference for Dallas and Ft Worth CF families to come and learn new research, talk with vendors (med supply/pharm reps etc), learn about vital information about this disease. This was the second year for me to go. It is a great opportunity to also meet new CF families and get to see my CF friends. As you know we don't get to see each other very often as our kids cannot be within three feet of each other. So I got to catch up with my friends and also got some great contacts for sponsors for the Great Strides walk. I also got to speak about Great Strides to the conference and why I am involved with the CFF.
During the first segment I got a punch in the stomach though. A doctor was talking about when patients culture different bugs and when they occur in patients. She mentioned that less than 30% of CF patients colonize pseudomonas younger than 6 years old. And those patients tend to decline in health more rapidly. Then not but a minute later she said that girls also have a harder time with this. Here I am thinking OH S#*T, she is basically talking about AVERY. I was about to have a pity party for myself and zone out when the CF mom to my left put her hand on my hand and whispered, "That is not Avery, these are just statistics, ignore it." I cannot tell you how much those few words helped me. It was comforting to know I had someone that knew exactly what I was thinking. Sad us CF moms cannot get together more often. We know what the other moms are going through.
Overall the conference was great! I also got to hand out flyers for Picture This Cure. So I am hoping to see some other CF families there.
It is less than a week away! I will post on Tues or Wed the items up for auction. We hope to see you there. Invite your friends and family. It should be a beautiful evening.
No comments:
Post a Comment