About Me

Our Avery was diagnosed at one month of age with Cystic Fibrosis (CF). CF is a life threatening genetic disease that affects the lungs and digestive system. We are working hard to find a cure. This website will keep you up to date on Avery and our fundraising efforts for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation.

Friday, April 13, 2012

Questions

As parents we all know those inevitable, yucky, uncomfortable conversations will happen with your kids.  For example when a loved one passes and you have to explain life and death or the dreaded "birds and bees" talk.  Well in our CF world I knew Avery would one day realize she is different from other kids.  Today it happened. 

Me:  Avery we need to do shaky puff-puffs.  Go to the bathroom and we will start in 5 minutes.
Avery:  I really don't like doing shaky puff-puffs
Me:  I know, but we have to do them so you don't get sick.
Avery:  Do my friends have to do them?
Me:  No, they don't.
Avery:  They are going to get sick then mommy.
Me:  No, they will not because they don't have Cystic Fibrosis.
Avery:  Why do I have Cystic Fibrosis?
Me:  Because God sent you down from Heaven to us with Cystic Fibrosis.
Avery:  Okay I understand.

It was that simple and dropped without further questions from there.  But our little bubbled life has changed a bit.    Avery now knows (how much I am not sure) that she is different. My only hope is that she doesn't come to resent Cystic Fibrosis.  I am so fearful that in her teens she will rebel and not do her treatments.  I want to raise a confident woman that owns CF.  

Like I said, we all know those conversations will come, but you only hope you do the best you can when they are in front of you.  I hope this was one of those times:)

No comments:

Post a Comment